Here is the program of events :
Thursday 27 March
Although the conference is officially on 28 March, many delegates will be travelling down the night before.
We will be staying at the Angel Hotel and delegates are welcome to join us for dinner from 7.00 pm (we will provide details later). You do not have to be staying at the hotel to have dinner, but it is subject to availability. So first come first served.
Friday 28 March
Here is the program of events for the day. You will find details of the speakers >> here.
09.00 – Registration
09.50 – Graeme Gee
- Introduction and welcome
- ‘Housekeeping’ and notices
10.00 – Tessa Shepperson – tenancy agreements
- What they should contain
- The unfair terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations
- Drafting issues and
- Adapting and amending tenancy agreements
10.30 – David Smith – HMOs
- What should I think about when drafting an HMO tenancy agreement?
- What particular obligations do I have when managing an HMO?
- What sort of problems come up when managing HMOs?
- What should I do if I am threatened with prosecution?
11.15 – Comfort break
12.00 – SImon Parrott – disrepair issues
- What are a Landlord’s repairing duties
- When does a potential claim arise
- Dealing with the Pre- Action Protocol process
- Avoiding Court claims
12.30 – Timothy Waitt – condensation and damp issues
- Why is my property damp / mouldy?
- Condensation – dragon’s smoke and a glass of wine
- What are tenant’s rights or Why should landlords care about damp & mould?
- Defending damp and mould cases
01.00 – Lunch
A buffet lunch will be provided.
02.00 – David Smith – tenancy deposits – legal issues
- What is a deposit?
- What am I required to do with it?
- What are the pitfalls?
- What can I do if things are starting to go wrong?
02.30 – Mike Morgan – tenancy deposit adjudications
- How TDS’ approaches common/frequently arising disputes
- How to best to present your case to an adjudicator
- Some ‘howlers’ from our case files
03.15 – Comfort break
03.45 – John Murray – the RPT
- Appearing in person before the Property Tribunal
- Complying with Directions
- Compiling evidence
- Witness statements/submissions
- Preparing the bundle for the hearing
4.15 – Martyn Ashely-Taylor – preparing for eviction hearings
- Maintaining your file to avoid pitfalls at Court
- Preparing for Court
- What Judges look for
- Avoiding creative defences
5.00 – Ends
The organisers will be staying at the Angel hotel and delegates are welcome to join us for dinner at 7.00. Details will be provided to delegates nearer the time.
Note that the whole event is being filmed by Tracy Island TV Productions on our behalf and footage will be used in future courses, promotions etc.